As a family of 3, we try to limit the amount of leftovers that we have by only making what is enough for one dinner, and maybe the next day's lunch.
By doing this it saves money and doesn't waste food.
Since we enjoy having spaghetti almost every week I decided to attempt lasagna for the first time. It turned out great but by the end we had half a box of uncooked lasagna noodles to use up!
I would normally make enough to freeze but our freezer right now doesn't seem to want to do its job so that unfortunately was out of the question.
My husband suggested we have a tofu dinner one night and so I came up with Tofu Veggie Lasagna Roll Ups which turned out extremely good! Especially because I am not a huge fan of tofu's texture!
If you don't like Tofu or know someone who doesn't, this recipe is for you!
Click for Printable Recipe
Tofu Veggie Lasagna Roll Ups
Serves 6-8 people (8 Roll Ups)
- Half a box of lasagna noodles (8 lasagna noodles) cooked and cooled
- 1 Jar of Spaghetti Sauce
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Container of Tofu, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced into long thin slices
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Basil (divided into two 1/8 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme (divided into two 1/8 teaspoons)
- 1/8 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F.
- In sauté pan sauté 1 tablespoon butter, tofu and yellow squash. Add in seasoned salt, 1/8 teaspoon dried basil and dried thyme. Cook until its all cooked through, then place in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same sauté pan add zucchini slices and cook until soft. Remove from heat. ( You can cook the mushrooms with them as well if you would like.
- In a greased baking dish, spread 1/2 cup on sauce on the bottom.
- On cutting board, lay 1 cooked and cooled lasagna noodle flat. Using a spoon spread a small amount of sauce from the side closest you to about 1 1/2 inch before noodle ends, because the filling will be pushed to the very end.
- Layer tofu and squash mixture, 1-2 slices of cooked zucchini, mushrooms, and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
- Add a few dashes of the basil, thyme and seasoned salt if you wish. The roll the lasagna roll up starting at the side closest to you. Roll as tight as you can to make sure the stuffing doesn't come out.
- Place roll on sauce in baking dish.
- Repeat steps 4-7 until all of the lasagna rolls are done.
- Pour the sauce over the lasagna rolls, making sure they are all covered by sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/8 teaspoons of dried thyme and basil.
- Sprinkle Rest of parmesan cheese on top and place in oven for 20 minutes or until sauce and cheese are bubbling.
I would love to know what you thought about the tofu veggie lasagna rolls so feel free to leave a comment below!